The Detroit Festival of Books continues to offer more and more programming for children, thanks in part to the presence of Brilliant Detroit, a local non-profit organization focused on boosting children’s literacy, which returns to Bookfest for the third straight year this July.
Brilliant Detroit operates 15 open family hubs in communities throughout Detroit. Its neighborhood-based approach ensures programs and services meet the needs of neighbors and support the intellectual, social, and emotional growth of their young children.
Brilliant Detroit will operate a “reading lounge” at Detroit Bookfest that will offer:
- Live readings of children’s stories throughout the day
- Opportunities for children to play (and learn how to play) Book Bingo
- Information about Detroit Reads!, its summer citywide reading initiative. Attendees can grab a schedule to learn about Detroit Reads!’ weekly activities, programming, pop-up author visits, and storytelling, and Brilliant Detroit’s high-dosage tutoring
- Information on enrolling in Brilliant Detroit’s year-round programming
- Information on volunteer and fundraising opportunities with the organization
“We are overjoyed that Brilliant Detroit is returning to Bookfest this year,” said Ryan M. Place, Bookfest’s founder and chairman. “Literacy is of paramount importance, and organizations such as Brilliant Detroit enrich children’s lives and help them build a bright future.”
“Annually the Detroit Festival of Books continues to exemplify how our city is full of readers, and this year we are so excited to be one of the many youth-focused literacy partners, who together will create a truly special experience for Detroit’s budding book lovers,” said Cindy Eggleton, CEO and co-founder of Brilliant Detroit. “The heart of our mission is the concept that communities can help every child be successful in life through literacy… Our hope is everyone will join us at Eastern Market to celebrate reading and learn how Detroit can become a city where every child reads at grade level!”